Unforgiveness is an unforgivable sin. In the Lord’s Prayer we ask to be forgiven as we have forgiven others. We in effect put a curse on ourselves so God can not forgive us if we do not foegive others. After sexual sins unforgiveness is the most destructive sin, polluting our soul and wounding our spirit. It separates us from God and other people.
- Lucille and I have seen and experienced the horrific damage unforgiveness wreaks on families in our ministry
- I was under a dark cloud for 30 years never speaking to my ex wife - it went away when we asked each other for forgiveness
- In the Readings (2 Samuel 6.1-5, 12B-19) Davids wife Michal “despised him in her heart) - and had no children.
- In Mark 6.19 “Herodias nursed a grudge against John and wanted to kill him.”
- The Good News is that God has chosen us to be holy and created a way for us to be forgiven in Jesus and sanctified by the Holy Spirit.
The Bible is the long, long story of God reaching out to people - Abraham, prophets, Moses, John the Baptist, Jesus and you and I, to bring us into a holy love relationship. Sadly we have not been taught just how holy God is and why we can not be near God unless we are made holy.
- Holy Spirit gave me a word of knowledge on this
- Think of your soul as a tin can and God as a holy fire of love
- Think of each instance of a sin as like an ounce of gasoline
- Every time we commit a sin we add an ounce of gasoline
- Every sin we repent, confess and receive absolution for removes an ounce of gasoline
- When we die the question is would we or God want us to be close to each other?
- Last Sunday when our audio failed I was explaining how this works in practice - notes on spirituallifeteaching.info
- Repeated sin leads to wounds
- Wounds are like spiritual doorways for evil spirits - like spirit of unforgiveness (its real)
- Evil spirits can oppress us from the inside and push us into unforgiveness - mental bondage of inability to forgive
2. In Jesus We Have Forgiveness Of Our Sins
Good news is Jesus has already paid for the sins of the whole world. The Covenant of Jesus we celebrate in Holy Communion is the promise that those who put their trust in Jesus and believe He died for their sins will be forgiven if they repent, confess and ask for forgiveness.
- Repentance and confession breaks the power of the sin and takes the gasoline out of the can
- Forgiveness of the sin can close the spiritual doorway
- Oppressing spirits loose their rights to be there and must leave
- Person is free from guilt, shame and separation from God and others
3. Believers Are Marked With The Holy Spirit
We all receive the Holy Spirit at baptism or when we put our trust in Jesus. Holy Spirit was poured out on all believers at Pentecost. Because God respects our free will we have to invite the Holy Spirit to come and live in our personal spirit. Most people do not realize that Holy Spirit is like their conscience. Holy Spirit is the sanctifier who makes us holy:
- Guides us,
- Teaches us
- Convicts us,
- Heals us
- Comforts us
- Experience as love, joy, peace, patience, kindness etc.
This teaching may be shocking to some people but I believe people need to know exactly why sin is dangerous, exactly how it can destroy our spiritual life and why we all need to come to Jesus.