Ascension is the final direct teaching moment in Jesus ministry. He is comforting the disciples with the news they will be commissioned, guided and empowered by the Holy Spirit. This is good news for us as we too live in a hostile and dangerous place. Like the disciples we cannot continue Jesus ministry on our own. Like them we need both a community for emotional support and the Holy Spirit to commission us, guide us and empower us for ministry. We live in the spiritual wreckage of failed politicized churches that did not depend on the Holy Spirit to commission, guide and empower them.
May 20, 2023
May 13, 2023
Jesus is preparing His Disciples for His Death, Resurrection, Ascension and the Coming of Holy Spirit at Pentecost. They are frightened and are going to feel abandoned in a world that is very hostile and dangerous. He comforts them by saying He is going away to prepare a place for them where they can all be together. He will send “another advocate” to continue His work of guiding them and helping them prepare for their own death, resurrection into eternal spiritual life of joy. The advocate will be like a modern lawyer who prepares people for a trial and judgement. The advocate will come to those who love Jesus and keep His Command to love one another.
1. Holy Spirit Comes to Those Who Love Jesus
Jesus, like Father God[ must respect human free will. He cannot force people to love Him. That would not be real love.
· Jesus defines this love of Jesus as those who Keep my Commandments.
· This is a continuation of the Covenant of Moses where the 10 Commandments were tests of our love of God (1-5); and our love of neighbour (6-10)
· Continuation of Moses telling the Hebrews that God would send another prophet like him.
· Covenant of Jesus clarified the Command to love God and our neighbour with self-sacrificial love – as Jesus modelled on the Cross
· Covenant of Jesus added the forgiveness of sins(that had been taken to the Cross by repentant believers)
· Covenant of Jesus added eternal spiritual life for believers
· Holy Spirit would help believers examine their lives, repent sins, become healed and holy enough to be in God’s presence