- Christianity is not just someone’s idea of God. Christianity is not a philosophy.
- Christianity is a revealed religion that was revealed historically and is still being revealed to the faithful. It is about real people, real healings and lives that were changed. The stories are either true or not true.
- Jesus claimed to be the Son of God in a special way, was condemned for blasphemy and went to His death believing he truly was God with us. It was either true or a fraud.
- Cannot rationally argue that Jesus was just a great teacher or good man. He was either God with us, a fraud or or mentally ill.
The Gospels tell us that most people, including most of the religious leaders did not recognize Jesus as the Messiah. This lead directly to his execution for blasphemy – for presumably claiming to be god when you are not god.
- The religious leaders of His time were so caught up in their own agendas and in their own interpretations of the Law of Moses that they missed the most important event in history.
- Like many in our own time they had blinded themselves spiritually and could not see who Jesus was.
- That something was “grace” - a loving way of restoring individuals who fail to come back into a right relationship with God.
Jeremiah reminds us that God is the Father of Israel (31.9). But fathers can only protect and save their children from disaster if they are loved and obeyed. This had been lost in Jewish formal religion.
- People had rebelled against God and His Commandments
- They had fallen into sin, become spiritually polluted and separated themselves from God who is holy
- How could God who is holy be around humans who are unholy?
- Good news of Christmas is that the life and death of Jesus provided a new way for humans to be forgiven and counted as holy
- God revealed the extent of His grace and mercy when He offered forgiveness to those who put their trust in Jesus sacrificial death.
- This is the great mystery of Christianity, that God would love us enough to come and die in our place, so that we could live with Him forever. Jesus, by being with us showed us a more loving and compassionate God than we could possibly imagine..