1. What are the crosses that limit our ministry?
· Feelings of Guilt and shame that poison our Spirit – can’t hear HS
· Physical and emotional trauma - doorways to spiritual oppression
· Personal losses, unresolved grief – sucks energy out
· Un-forgiveness – a spiritual block to effectiveness
· Anger, jealousy or bitterness can immobilize us spiritually
· Pride, narcissism and self-centeredness blind us spiritually
· Fear hardens our heart, narrows our view and limits effectiveness
These crosses may limit which ministries we will succeed in. They may indicate we should be a ‘helper’ in a ministry instead of the leader.
2. What are my spiritual gifts?
In preparing for this exercise I have developed (actually no, I was led by the Holy Spirit to develop) a “Spiritual Gifts and Ministries Map” which is simply a four column listing of spiritual gifts (Romans 12.3-8; 1 Cor. 12.4-14, 27-28; 1 Cor. 13.1-5) from Paul’s letters which are lined up with the ministries they seem to point to. Copies of the Map are available in the Church and at www.spirituallifeteaching.info.
· Leading – gift of being able to gain respect, discern direction and take charge
· Wisdom – a profound idea / solution that just drops into your head unexpectedly and without a lot of analysis or thought
· Prophecy – semi-audible instructions that seem to come from God
· Teaching – ability to organize, summarize and present information that is relevant and useful to others
· Mercy – ability to feel love, forgive and care for others
· Encouraging – ability to see and express the positive to others
· Serving – sense of self-sacrificial love for others leading to action
· Knowledge – receive words of knowledge from Holy Spirit
· Healing – listening and receiving guidance in what to pray for
· Miraculous Powers – receive and follow guidance in prayer
· Distinguishing Spirits – ability to discern counterfeit spirits
· Faith – ability to believe in the miraculous and (humanly) illogical
· Love – strong self-sacrificial desire for the good of the other
· Leading / Oversight - based on gifts of leading and wisdom that enable taking the long view and leading people in a wise direction and managing the overall worship and administration of churches
· Teacher - Ministry of discerning, organizing and presenting knowledge helpful to people in their spiritual lives
· Healing / Intercession - Ministry of being available to pray for
and with people who are sick, spiritually oppressed or facing a challenge in their secular or spiritual life
· Pastoral Visiting - visiting people in homes, care homes and hospitals to pray with them and encourage and guide them in faith
· Serving / Hospitality - Ministry of humbly serving the needs of others through parish administration, making and serving food, doing maintenance, driving people and helping as needed
· Priest - Ministry of connecting people to God through inspired worship, teaching, prayer, spiritual direction and sacramental ministry